The purpose of the qualification is to ensure competent professional driving competence in the road transport sector, improving earning capacity of professional drivers, as well as enhancing transport sector professionalism and economic growth. The qualification creates an environment for growth and development of learners, by improving the employment prospects and marketable competence of drivers, and accelerating the redress of past unfair discrimination in education, training and employment opportunities. By setting the minimum standards contained in this qualification, professional driving education and training will also improve.
Qualified learners are capable of:
- obtaining and communicating road transport operational information
- assessing loads against given permissible load requirements
- planning road transport service delivery that meets specified requirements
- driving a vehicle conveying a specific freight commodity or category of passengers
- using computerised spreadsheets and word processing
- planning the establishment of a small business according to relevant business principles
- conducting vehicle maintenance according to specified procedures
- operating lifting equipment according to specified procedures.