The course offers an overview of the Mine Health and Safety Act (MHSA), including the latest amendments and its implications for safety, health and the environment in a mine.
- Assessment to be done at the end of the course.
- Introduction to the MHSA, common law and legislation
- Criminal and civil liability
- Duties of employers regarding health, safety and environmental (HSE) issues in a mining environment. The role of the MHSA in the broader responsibilities for HSE
- Aims and objectives of the MHSA
- Legal duties and responsibilities of the employee
- Implications of manufacturer’s duties in accordance with the MHSA
- Types of incidents that must be reported in terms of the MHSA and regulations, and the other steps taken regarding incidents