This unit standard is intended for people who pick stock for despatch to stores/customers in a Distribution Centre or Warehouse. These persons are able to identify stock listed on a picking advice, pick the correct quantity, pack and move the stock ready for despatch to customers/stores in a manner that prevents losses and enhance the efficiency of the supply chain.
Participants will achieve workshop outcomes by being able to understand:
- the organisational method for notifying items to pick and the understanding of these notifications
- the effect of incorrect picking on the business
- the different organisational packing containers and their uses
- the different stock in the DC/warehouse, their characteristics and the best methods of packing them
- different methods/machinery/equipment for picking in the organisation
- how to identify the different problems that could be encountered when picking stock and to whom they must be reported
- organisational requirements in respect of tagging/identifying stock/containers with their destination
- load points and how to choose the correct load point
- how to minimise damages when picking, packing and moving stock
- the impact of damages on the organisation
- the terms ‘shrinkage’ and ‘losses’
- the effect of shrinkage and losses on profits and employees
- causes and preventative methods for shrinkage and losses as applicable to the process of picking stocks
- common terms and concepts used when picking stock in the DC.